Pages

    Tuesday, December 7, 2010

    Enduring the American Dream

    New digs, new posts, and hopefully some new beginnings - I'm not going to pretend like a vast amount of people follow, read, and cling to my every post, but to those of you in the internet community who have casually ventured over at times, other than the layout being new, you will also notice I have recently decided upon a title: Enduring the American Dream. This blog was created some time ago in order to satisfy my not so frequent but still possibly just as pathetic need to rant about something publicly. Although this "new" blog will most likely still be heavily padded and encumbered by rants and tired references to the human condition, I want to do more with this great social medium this time around, whether that be simply blogging about my day to day or taking some time to reflect on books I'm reading, films I'm interested in, future plans, business ideas and theories, places I've been, people I've met, experiences I've had, and general thoughts about life, love, and the "American Dream".


    In regards to the title, "Enduring the American Dream", it's a somewhat ironic outlook on life, especially life as an entrepreneur; an outlook that is derived from my current frustrations with society, the business world, and following one's dreams (Cliche? Yes). It seems in these modern times it's almost impossible to follow and turn one's "dreams" into reality. In a simpler time, in a relatively more ethical society, Americans were raised to believe that they could follow their dreams and literally watch their hard work come into fruition; achieving one's "dreams", goals, and aspirations. Presently, this belief, this old path, this tired model, has all but disappeared. It's becoming very clear to people of all creeds that the one sure way into the heart of the business world in any industry, whether that be music or canned food, is to place ethics on the back burner. Today one can literally buy one's way into any field or industry. A college degree does not guarantee a job anymore. It's about who you know, who knows you, and how far you're willing to bend in order to reach your desired goal. In essence, it's prostitution. In the same way the hollywood screenplay portrays a scandalous red lipped, short skirted secretary engaging in sexual relations with her superior in order to gain a promotion, the business world is willing to grant you a sleazy entry for the simple price of "sexual favors".


    When speaking of "sexual favors" in the business world, although they could very well pertain to favors in the non metaphorical sense, more often than not said "favors" exist in the form of money, bribery, dirty business, and a general loss of ethical behavior. That being said and almost concluding my rant, the American Dream is kaput. One can no longer take the ethical and honest approach. One can no longer achieve one's dreams simply through hard work alone. The solution is to either conform, learn to fake it, or get out of the business. It is for that reason that I have chose to title this blog, "Enduring the American Dream". Because, aren't we all? Most of us took the route that was prescribed to us by parents, teachers, elders, and even religious leaders only to find ourselves graduated, in our mid twenties, sometimes jobless, most of the time clueless, and in disbelief. If this isn't you then congratulations. You're either one of the lucky few, you knew someone, or you learned to lie, cheat, steal, and use people and piers as stepping stones. The ethical dilemma we are faced with today as a society is, are these ethics (lack of) in fact wrong or are they simply the norm unaccompanied by career related or social consequences of any kind? Touchy subject.


    So here I am, in my mid twenties with a college degree, without a career, and asking these types of questions; Enduring the American Dream.


    **Please head on over to the right hand side bar and vote in my latest poll. Do you think the American Dream is dead?

    9 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Hmmm... I agree with the heart of your message, insofar as there is a disenfranchisement of the working man today and that "corporate greed", if I should be so cavalier, has much to do with it, but I'd be careful in painting things with such a broad brush. If lies, bribery, and power hording were so ubiquitous and indomitable the unemployment rate would be 50 percent, not 9.8 percent. There are lots of honest folks workin hard and trying to make a positive impact on the public dialogue, and there are are counterparts who work equally as hard to obscure and marginalize them. One doesn't preclude the other, one competes with the other. The conclusion should never be that nothing can be done, but rather that something must be done.

    Bo Michael King said...

    I don't agree with that at all. They employment rate has nothing to do with it. People have simply adapted to the new business world and the new business model. People have learned to manipulate. Hard word is a thing of the past. And yes there are lots of honest folks working hard BUT most of them will never achieve their goals unless they are willing to compromise themselves somewhere along their "path to success". You paint a picture of a balance between a proverbial good and evil. I say there is no such balance. Evil, if I can use such an exaggerated word, has the upper hand. And yes I would agree with your last statement, "something must be done". But as a realist, will anything ever change for the better? Of course not. That's not how the world works. That's not how the business world works. That's like saying Ron Paul could one day win a presidential election. Sometimes there are too many barriers in one's way to realistically paint a picture of perfect success. I'm not being pessimistic. I'm being realistic. I would never tell a small child today that he can do anything he dreams of simply by working hard toward his goal. That would be misleading and an inaccurate statement. The American Dream is dead. Maybe not for everyone, because there are exceptions, BUT for the general middle class population, it's non existent.

    Unknown said...

    Where are the figures and the stats? It seems you started with a question, but ended with the (your) answer in one blog. I have friends who, graduated, moved home, started businesses, made money, bought houses, had children...

    Based on what, do you suppose the world, and the businesses therein are more evil? More evil than the 1950's? More evil than Rome in the 1st Century? Germany in the 30's? More than Enron in the 90's? I'm not trying to pick on this post but, you repeatedly say things like, "that's just how it is." How is that "how it is"? How do you know? Is this hypothesis even provable?

    The Bible tells me that sinfulness reigns in the hearts of men since Adam. It is getting worse? How do you know? It seems like I could just point to various atrocities of the past and say, "Look how great we've got it now." But why would you believe me? Why wouldn't you believe me?

    I don't really even have to ask how you came to believe these things. You say it is "derived from my current frustrations" as though that supports your thesis.

    Don't get me wrong, I think many corporations are rife with ethical and moral problems. But does that mean I couldn't make money honestly? I don't think so.

    Just some questions...

    Bo Michael King said...

    Evil was a dumb word for me to use. I don't believe corporations and business are evil however they all are out for themselves like most people now days.

    And stats would be nice but this post was more so from personal observation and participation within the business industry as well as and with more respect to the music industry.

    Much of how I view and feel about the music and music business industry has been shaped through my higher education. For instance, and coming from the ex Vice President of the RIAA and current lawyer in the field, the music industry has changed dramatically in the last decade. At one time there was a such thing as respect and honesty amongst many of the major players in the industry, ex. Barry Gordy. Because today the industry is dying, losing money, and losing power, the next generation of major players lie, cheat, accept bribes, let artists buy there way in, and use contractual law to steal. I'm not saying at all that this wasn't going on in the 50s and 60s, but not to the extent it is now. You would be hard pressed to find an honest character in the industry today and what's ironic is that the so called "Christian" industry seems to be much worse off. Basically there is a vast amount of proof that the industry has gotten much much worse with regard to ethics, fair practices, and the like.

    Today it's much more difficult to get your foot in the door. One could say that it's simply because there are so many people doing it. I don't believe that to be true. Sensations and even Indie artists are bought and created over night these days. Talent has nothing to do with it. (ex. Ke$ha) - who made her way into the industry by being the daughter of someone who knew someone as well as buying her way in (literally).

    Perhaps I should have clarified where most of my personal experience and learned experience came from.

    Can it be proven because currently there are no such numbers, just stories and advice from every person I've come in contact with who was a major player in the industry.

    And what's more, music business students are still being taught to think this way and take these things into consideration not because they are being led wrong or corrupted but simply being told by those already in the field how things really are.

    Does this apply to all business? I don't have the numbers, figures, and stats to back that up although I've been hearing similar things about many industries from older businessmen for at least the last 6 months. I couldn't help but draw the parallel.

    I hope maybe that might answer your post. BTW Congrats to you and Carly on the new addition to your family. I just saw some pictures and she's beautiful.

    Unknown said...

    "Evil", in hyperbolic terms, may indeed have the upper hand, but submission to such powers is merely reinforcing their will. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking that the "who you know not what you do" is a new concept in the American marketplace. This idea probably reaches back nearly as far as human civilization itself. Money begets power which in turn begets more money, and the rest of us have to find a way in, usually from an obscured place on the sidelines somewhere. If, however, you say the American dream is dead now, then it in fact never existed. The idea that generations before us represented some lambent beacon on hope in which all could achieve simply based on their temerity and will is totally false. In the early 1900's the Rockefellers literally murdered striking coal mine workers with the state guard totally complicit in the act. Similar industries in horizontal growth at the time were steamrolling under the helm of the Vanderbuilts and the Rothschilds and several other wealthy elitist families. Working conditions were unsafe, work days were too long, women's rights were limited, black rights were comparatively non-existent. If you were a white male from a well off family and a college degree, chances were that you were pretty well off.... much the same as today. The main difference is that we are almost totally post-industrial, so there is heavier competition for similar jobs.

    Bo Michael King said...

    "but submission to such powers is merely reinforcing their will" - Let's be realistic here. Do I really believe that by my abstaining from some of the more frowned upon business practices will persuade others to do the same? No I don't. I know how weighted that statement is and everyone's response will be something along the lines of "stand up and be the bigger man" or "how can you expect something to change if you, yourself are willing to simply give into it?". Those are correct statements and my answers speak to my less than perfect character. So that out of the way, no I don't think combatting them will do any good at all. Call me pathetic. Call me un-motivated. Call me bitter. I am wrong. But will that keep me from doing what it takes to get where I want to be? Most likely not. Am I talking about living a life free of morality? Not at all. I would like to think I have enough self respect never to sleep with someone to get where I wanted to be (although this probably very rarely happens to men) or do something completely against what I believe in. I'm talking about sleazy business practices that I might not necessarily agree with but am not above, motivated, or convicted enough to abstain completely from. If I had the money, would I buy my way in to whatever industry I like? Of course I would. And that would make me the very person I'm complaining about. I would take the easy route over the hard that may never pay off. Like I said in my original post I think, it's these frustrations that have caused me to reconsider how I want to handle myself as a business person. But let's be clear, there are certain things I will never stoop to or be a part of. I don't like using people I care about or who are friends and I would never betray a friend to get where I wanted. This has become a poorly worded rant on my part most likely. ha

    Ask any elderly person from the 1930s to the 1960s. There used to be such a concept of the "best man or woman for the job" got the job. This is almost unheard of today in many industries. This is what I'm touching on. If you can combat that and say that things are really just the same as they always have been, then I could find a whole mess of people who disagree. And I'm not basing this on my own learned knowledge but from the experience of many older Americans who were around in that time period and can attest to the changes now. But if you honestly don't believe anything has changed, then we will simply have to agree to disagree. I'm not trying to sway you or get to you view things as I do, just simply stating how I feel personally about the business world which is an opinion based on what I've experienced, studied, and heard from what I consider to be primary sources.

    Unknown said...

    I like to wear short skirts to interviews. Thats my American Dream. <3

    cornfednebraskaneer said...

    Shakespeare once said "Brevity is the soul of wit."

    Most of what you're saying could be summed up by this:
    "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."

    America has her problems, but find me a country that doesn't. At least we don't live in a communist dictatorship like Cuba or North Korea, or worse, under Sharia law.

    What's more, the music industry is rife with stories of rags-to-riches lore. But, money and fame seem to be the end-goal of everything, and to me, therein lies the real problem.

    However, I'd expect nothing less from a fallen world.

    Sorry things haven't worked out for you, but like the old saying goes: "If at first you don't succeed..." (don't try skydiving)

    Bo Michael King said...

    Compare those music industry stories that are rags to riches with all the rest and you'll find that it's a very very small minority. A number that used to be far greater.

    I like your final quote though. haha

    Post a Comment